CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Hampster in the play ball

Does your mind ever feel this way? The thoughts jumble and spin and spin every which way? I find myself there more than a little. Change of season, new inspirations. I went to a knitters meet up group here last Tuesday night and met this really fun bunch of creative women. Sat there with my pen and clipboard, asked questions, took notes. I ended up starting a dish cloth in a simple basket weave pattern in cheap cotton thread from Michaels to remind myself how knitting works. Found the pattern on ravelry. Yes, another community I just had to join. What I like most about knitting is the portability. Unfortunately, I'm at that stage of life when I'm more likely hot than cold and summer is right around the corner, so I don't know that I will be doing much knitting for myself (maybe a sweater to wear around the office when the AC is on hyperdrive). I really want to try socks, but I gather they are considered advanced and I should master flat knitting first. A few dish cloths, though, and I'm going to have a go at socks, learn Kitchner stitch, and whatever else is involved.

At this meet up, I met a talented woman, Juanita, who spins and dyes her own fibers. While the knitting does seem like a great portable craft, I'm feeling drawn to the actual fiber manipulation. After the meet up, I ended up on ebay and won some yarn deals and even two drop spindles. Next time I see Juanita, I'm going to ask her about how I can learn the fiber world. Maybe she needs a student (yeah, right...)

Other than that, life is moving along. I've been gaming on facebook, working, working, working, doing a bit of knitting, and staying out of trouble. Since the crops in February, I haven't done much in the way of scrapping, although I'm starting to get the yearnings again and have gotten in some nice merchandising pieces for the shop as well as some assorted vintage laces etc. Oh, and at the office, they added a new shelf to our cubicles... since I really purged my ingredients when we moved to the new building in December, I had nothing to place there. Ended up at Michael's on my lunch break and got some shabby chic florals, a cream wire bench, a ball jar, a tiny wreath, a dream sign, and some birdies and made a little mental escape scene for me... very soothing and pretty... the urge to add beauty to everyday life sometimes overwhelms me...

Mom update - getting stronger, keeping stable. That's about what we would hope for her at this point in the process. Thanks to all who've been praying for her recovery.

Check in with you another time. Take care!

2 comments:

Hello there! My name is June said...

Hoping your mom is still improving.
I've had spring fever too & often neglect the blog.

Stay creative & keep on keeping on!

劉WileyMares said...

Unable to give you a heart. so have a reply to push up your post. ........................................