CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 11, 2008

Totally TV - Olympics, Survival, Starlets and more

I had a most decadent weekend - yes, I did so my homework for my finance class, but spent most of the rest of it vegging out in front of the TV. Watched the opening ceremonies of the Olympics - incredible choreography with 2008 (or more) Chinese at a time playing tradition/modern light drums, doing tai chi and other cultural performance - watching them use these thousands of bodies in harmony was amazing - incredible discipline and coordination there. If the Chinese were to funnel that energy into taking over the world, they'd definitely succeed.

Talking about choreography, Melody insisted I watch the finale of her "So You Think You Can Dance". Saw some amazing performances. Apparently that guy, Twitch, who was one of the last men standing has had no formal dance training. As we watched him in the dances he performed, I was amazed - I guess he must have some awesome kinesthetic memory - that last piece he danced to "A New Day" by Celine Dion was totally beautiful.

On the other hand, they also had this Cirque du Soliel piece - Homage to Rabbits, that was quite freakish - rather like the stuff that nightmares are made up of... kind of like Monty Python's Holy Grail where the guys encounter the rabbit - "'e won't 'urt you - 'e's just a little bunn,,, AAAIIIIII my neck! my neck!"

And if that's not enough TV, we also watched the movie "The Wedding Date" which starts the same guy from "My Best Friend's Wedding". Cute movie but I don't feel compelled to buy the DVD. Also watched "Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet" which I found to be rather sad as in my mind it's pretty much the story of a lot of those young girls we're seeing in the news who are given too much adulation, freedom and money and not enough parental guidance and love during their critical formulative years. Valerie Bertinelli plays the sensitive family friend who helps the girl turn her life around and grab her dreams.

Also spent several hours watching my fav true to life shows - Dr. G Medical Examiner, Mystery Diagnosis, I Should Have Died (lost at sea and survival in the winter mountains). And to round out the weekend, Sunday night we got lost in Dr. Oz and "You on a Diet." Both Melody and I are now committed to healthier eating and more exercise as we reach for the magic 32" waist that indicates the minimum for a healthy woman. Whoo hoo... Mel is a lot closer to the goal than I am, but since she's the main food shopper and meal preparer, getting her on board with the whole healthy foods thing is really the most important part. Here's to your good health!



2 comments:

Janvangogh said...

I scrolled past that You on a Diet show in the TV guide. Maybe I should check it out.

Theresa Merkling said...

If you're over your ideal weight, it can be inspiring - I like their commonsense approach to health and fitness.